Saturday, August 22, 2009

Al Marjan @ KLCC

I've tried to love Middle Eastern cuisine, but I can't. Nothing wrong with it per se, but it never really turns me on. So now I'm just trying to appreciate it.

Al Marjan serves fairly well-prepared dishes. The hummus here is a satisfyingly smooth blend of chickpeas, sesame sauce and olive oil.

The fattoush salad was a bit too sour (less lemon juice might have helped). But it was a fresh, crunchy mix of garden veggies with toasted pita bread.

Baba Ghannuj, a nutty eggplant dip with green peppers, parsley, tomato and olive oil. Good for dipping, but not particularly memorable.

Tabbouleh (chopped parsley with onions, cracked wheat and lemon juice). A refreshing accompaniment to the meat dishes.

Zereshk Polo Ba Morgh (rice with kabssa chicken, sprinkled with dried pomegranate seeds and pistachios). Skip this; a bland platter, with chicken that didn't taste particularly fresh.

Mixed grill of chicken breast, lamb shish kebab, beef and dory fillet, each with its own marinade. Not bad. Everything was tender and reasonably flavourful.

Mint lemon tea and Shiqaf (a blend of mango, ice cream and fruits).

Al Marjan
Level 4, Suria KLCC.
Check out EAT DRINK, a new F&B website jointly run by The Expat Group (TEG) & Eat Drink KL. This website features all of our up-to-date reviews, plus exclusive weekly articles & a searchable database on restaurants in KL & Selangor:


  1. Oohh.. Al Marjan!

    I've been to this place a couple of time and I remember being very happy with the food I had here.

    I think I went to a buffet here once too but I could be wrong....

  2. Hi there,

    I would like to introduce myself as Paramjot Singh Khalsa. I am a Marketing Manager at Chayo Café, a Vegetarian café and a Yoga studio located at 50-1 Kelana Mall Jalan SS6/14 Kelana Jaya, Selangor Malaysia.
    I have been reading your article on your blog for a while and found out that your article is really helpful for people to know what is going on in the city and keeping them aware of the trends. I would like to humbly invite you to come and try our meal and experience our friendly and cozy environment in which we offer a nice and healthy herbal tea which is imported from USA and Netherland. We also serve an organic Coffee such as Chayo Spice, Chayo Thai (a wonderful combination of Coffee with coconut flavor). Apart from those drinks, we also have nice smoothies, shakers and not to forget our lovely snacks. We have tasty varieties of Chat Snacks, such as, Samosas, Spring Rolls, Potato Onion Bhaji, Bombay Toast, Potato Pakora, Cheese Fingers, Tortilla Wrap with Salsa, etc.
    We also serve you with Northern Indian Lunch and dinner set and healthy western menu.

    Please feel free to come and experience our hospitality,
    You are reach me at 0196886559 or 03 7806 2675

    Look forward hearing from you soon

    Best Regards
    Paramjot Singh

  3. christine: u're absolutely rite! their buffet is tasty and good value for money.
    paramjot: thanks, i'll try to visit soon.

  4. Zereshk Polo Ba Morgh!! I had that too ;)
    Ended up pouring Tabasco sauce all over it! LOL!

  5. better not do that if any arab tourists are there to observe you! :D