Thursday, December 10, 2009

Favola @ Le Meridien Hotel KL

Click here for earlier review of Favola (December 2).
The wide-ranging menu here makes multiple visits a must.

Roasted scallops with cauliflower and truffles. Absolute comfort food. The cauliflower _ chopped up to look like a bed of risotto _ tasted like the best kind of coleslaw.

Bocconcini with pistachio pesto & roasted peppers. A soft, very mild-tasting cheese, made from the milk of water buffaloes (ermm, maybe).

Risotto con Aragosta, with succulent chunks of lobster, green asparagus, lemon zest and green pea foam. A pleasant change from the usual overly creamy risottos.

BBQ Swordfish with olive oil, basil, capers, pecorino and sun-dried tomato dressing. The best swordfish ever, a reversal from the dry, bland ones that give this fish a bad name. Meaty but terrifically tender. The dressing imparted a rich but not overpowering flavour.

Conchigliani Marinara al Cortoccio (baked pasta parcels with seafood, extra virgin olive oil, fresh herbs and tangy tomato sauce). Expertly prepared.

Potato gnocchi with fresh tomato and basil sauce. Not bad, but slightly stodgy.

Venetian Pizza, topped with lobster, scallops, prawns, calamari and clams. No real complaints, though perhaps the pizza wasn't as crisp as it could have been.

Banfi Col di Sasso Cabernet Sangiovese 2007.

Le Meridien Kuala Lumpur.
Check out EAT DRINK, a new F&B website jointly run by The Expat Group (TEG) & Eat Drink KL. This website features all of our up-to-date reviews, plus exclusive weekly articles & a searchable database on restaurants in KL & Selangor:


  1. I will be in KL for only one day...Could you give me some advice? Which restaurant is the best place to have a great evening, I'm thinking of a mix of western&asian food. I like your reviews and think you've been to many nice restaurants, so maybe you can help me?!

  2. Eureka!! I was just cracking my head over where to bring a friend for a special birthday treat! I am getting just a bit muddled by the plethora of new outlets, need to start writing things down! He'll scream for the swordfish!

  3. Hey, when did u visit? we were there last nite!

  4. wahh... cant wait to get here..
    But 1st Pressroom & Malones...

  5. Actually I have received an email from Le Meridien regarding Favola earlier this morning...
    the menu looks creative and promising but after reading your post... it's definitely a must go for me :)
    Now I can utilise my Starwood Privilege... 50% off the food and 20% of the beverage :P

  6. julia: for a nice mix of east and west, u might like to try teeq (, shook (, 7atenine ( or hakka republic ( good luck, and let me know how it goes!
    min: hope u like it! save some space for the tiramisu, cos that will induce screams of ecstasy too!
    boo: missed u again! we made our pilgrimages here last week...
    tng: the list keeps getting longer, huh :D
    leo: starwood card, arrgh, i don't have that! would have saved a lot of cash using that! =)

  7. must make my first visit....soon.

  8. eiling: wait for a day when u feel like going on a pasta binge! :D

  9. Sean... actually I still have a slot for supplementary card.. if u want :)
    gimme your name, phone number and address so that I can send to you... email me...
    leoboonloong at gmail

  10. Ooh, divine. Esp. the roasted scallops with cauliflower and truffles. I had some really good homecooked Italian fare in Beijing recently and that has whetted my appetite for more! :D

  11. lfb: in beijing?! shouldn't u have been eating peking duck and fried tripe there? but favola might do the trick for u. the food's pretty wholesome and unpretentious =)

  12. The food in Favola based on the dishes we sampled, was distinctly mediocre. The scallops was fresh and tasted decent, while the swordwish was not bad admittedly. However,the tortellini and lasagne were a disgrace. The tiramisu without alcohol is not a true tiramisu in my book. The cassata was unmemorable. All in, I doubt I'll be going back there again. If I want decent Italian, my Go To place is still Neroteca.

  13. alexander: sorry to hear u were disappointed with the meal here. yep, nero teca does offer more robust flavours and has the advantage of being non-halal.

  14. so sean.. do you suggest to go here? or another option u can suggest me for italian food?

  15. zafrul: favola is a good place for this price range. another option might be villa danieli at sheraton imperial...