Sunday, April 18, 2010

Zens @ One Bangsar


One Bangsar's uncertain fate (will it be forced to shut by the end of 2010?) leaves us fearful for outlets like Zens, which has been serving fairly good Korean fare for over a year.


The usual spread of accompaniments; the portions seem slightly smaller than what we're used to elsewhere, but maybe that helps curb wastage.


Kimchi soup. Nicely laden with clams and other fresh-tasting ingredients.


BBQ pork ribs. Reasonably tender and well-marinated.


Three-layer pork strips. No complaints; non-halal Korean outlets can be hard to find.


Burn, baby, burn!


A steamed egg accompaniment. Comfort food-ish.


Bibimbap. A bit bland; it seemed like an ingredient or two might be missing. Gogung at The Gardens still does my favourite version of this.


Complimentary dessert. The perfect end to our meal. Not too sweet.


Wild strawberry bokbunja. A pleasantly fruity change from wine and sake.


Zens,
One Bangsar.
Check out EAT DRINK, a new F&B website jointly run by The Expat Group (TEG) & Eat Drink KL. This website features all of our up-to-date reviews, plus exclusive weekly articles & a searchable database on restaurants in KL & Selangor: EatDrink.my

9 comments:

  1. Heard they do set lunches as well..sigh..if only i got time to go out for lunch. nowadays its reduced to tapau be4 reaching the office and eatin it in front of the lappie!

    Hmm.. u know what? I'll prob get filled up with just the bachan (refillable rite?), egg and dessert. Haha.. ahem.. ;p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tng: if u're here for lunch, u'll probably have a better appetite compared to dinner, rite ... I figure I'll definitely be able to finish the BBQ pork ribs, but not sure if u'll like it, hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm absolutely certain that they will get around the order to shut the place down. But until then, I really need to get up to speed with the outlets there. Drove by the other day and couldn't recognise a single one of them from my last visit there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. min: it looks like they might get a reprieve for awhile. but it's still sad that most outlets on this row have struggled financially. at least six of one bangsar's original restaurants have closed, including the french and japanese outlets which were pretty good...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd normally be nonchalant over Korean food but after I had some really good Korean fare in Tokyo (of all places!), I have decided to rethink my view of it.

    The three-layer pork strips looks droolicious! ;)

    P.S. Greetings from your fave blog-stalker, now back from Tokyo and Terengganu. Catching up on your past 20-odd posts now. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. lfb: yeah, i only got converted into the cult of kimchi a year or two ago too. it'll never shoot to the top of my favorite food though. my heart belongs to pasta. p.s. i've already applied for a restraining order. :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't try zens before but the fate of one bangsar is so sad lor... I like house of Tangs a lot too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The BBQ pork was quite flavourful and tender, I thought. Bibimbap failed to impress me, and surprisingly, I've tasted better bibimbap in cheaper locations like food courts etc.

    ReplyDelete
  9. eiling: too many chinese restaurants on that row now, right? house of tang, bangsar seafood garden, regal house...
    lemongrass: ya, actually the bibimbap at ko hyang, that humble basement outlet in the gardens, is much tastier!

    ReplyDelete