Friday, July 1, 2011

Hanare

Hanare recently revamped its menu, compelling us to return to see what's fresh.
Earlier entries on Hanare: Feb. 2, Feb. 6, Feb. 8, Feb 10 & Feb. 24.

Marinated tuna intestines. Pungently salty and slimy. Loved it!

Chilled bean curd from Kyoto. The tofu produced in this historic city is legendary, thanks partly to its use of underground spring water. Tastes like a cross between regular tofu & panna cotta, with a luscious, lip-smacking creaminess.

Sunomono mori (seafood in chef's vinaigrette). A savory substitute for sashimi.

Baked crab meat on toast, very richly topped, Reminiscent of bruschetta, though without the Italian herbs & tomatoes, of course.

Salt & lemon-sprinkled scallop, snapper & cuttlefish sushi. Since our last visit, a dedicated sushi chef has arrived to whip up these deliciously delicate creations.

Seared toro, kampachi & salmon sushi. Never a bad or mediocre meal here. We were pressed for time to sample more, but we'll be back soon.

Hanare,
Ground Floor, The Intermark,
Jalan Tun Razak, Kuala Lumpur.
Tel: 03-2164-2133
Check out EAT DRINK, a new F&B website jointly run by The Expat Group (TEG) & Eat Drink KL. This website features all of our up-to-date reviews, plus exclusive weekly articles & a searchable database on restaurants in KL & Selangor: EatDrink.my

20 comments:

  1. Been hearing good stuff about this restaurant. But my wallet refuses to agree. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tried their buffet d last time...nice but really lacking in variety...a bit disappointed really for d cash being paid :(

    For a second visit for their new menu, my wallet refuses to open sesame...hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard there's a lunch menu now?
    U knw wht? I wan Jap fr my b'day dinner ;p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chong: heh, your wallet might be happy to hear that prices have decreased (a bit) in the updated a la carte menu :D though to be safe, would still need to allocate a three-figure sum for dinner...
    Ulric: ya, there was a too-obvious absence of variety for their Sunday buffet, but I was still satisfied cos the quality of ingredients was better than other places, and I got my fill of bubbly and sake, heh (and I'm always too easily satisfied anyways!) :D
    Tng: oh ya, I saw a poster there for their weekday set lunch menu (I think), but it didn't give much details. I think the price was below rm50, but we didn't pay attention cos I'll never be able to make it for lunch anyway! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm soooo jealousssss!!!!!!!!! okay, i can't wait for my new york sushi experience!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha...tat explains it...I took their non-alkie buffet... sacrilegious isn't it? :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another place I've heard loads about. Salt and lemon sprinkled sushi - is that normal?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michelle: hope it'll be an amazing experience! So far your meals in the states look dreamy and delicious! :D
    Ulric: heh, no, it's ok, I think it's only worth it to choose the alcoholic buffet if you plan to really drink a lot. Otherwise, no point paying quite an expensive surcharge =)
    Hungry female: nope, this was the first time I had noticed this twist in a sushi recipe. It was mild and subtle, so it made the sushi slightly zesty (which fit the scallop and cuttlefish very well) but not overwhelmingly tangy, so the fresh flavor of the seafood still stood out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Their food seems simple but looks really good. :) Hope they will bring back their Sunday buffets.. so i can go pig out :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. baby sumo: ya, i think the nice thing about hanare is how it uses simple ingredients that are always top-quality and sometimes unusual, preparing them in ways that allow us to really taste those ingredients :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow Tuna intestines! That's interesting. What's that orangey coloured slime?

    ReplyDelete
  12. eiling: heheh, i think it might be the slime from the intestines and guts! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gosh Tuna intestines?? It's my first time seeing those! I'm not sure I'm a fan of slimy stuff :P But the Kyoto beancurd looks like something I'd love!

    ReplyDelete
  14. iamthewitch: heheh, yeah, the flavor of those fish innards can be powerfully stinky! :D and y'know, i usually don't like tofu dishes, cos they can be too bland, but this here tasted almost like a not-too-sweet creme brulee :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Powerfully stinky?? Eeeuw! I'll prolly stay away from those fishy innards :P But the Tofu, i like!

    ReplyDelete
  16. pureglutton: heheh, but fishy innards are fun! i wonder what salmon liver tastes like :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Plan to go maki-crazy tonite at Coco.Tei :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. ulric: have fun! all the carbs will ensure you'll be able to fall asleep easily tonite, i hope! :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. I dun thing it will work for me as I am a weekend nite owl...hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  20. ulric: once you're in a carbohydrate coma, your body's internal clock will get zonked out too! :D

    ReplyDelete