Thursday, September 9, 2010

Opera @ Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam


HCMC Part III: A Sunday prosecco brunch at the hotel that hosted Brad & Angelina during their 2006 visit to Vietnam. Alas, neither of them was around on this recent weekend.


Not exactly the longest buffet counter ever, but quality trumps quantity here.


Parma ham with melons was a highlight. We gobbled up seemingly endless slices; it's an awesome change to enjoy a hotel breakfast spread that includes pork.


Pork sausage, beef tenderloin, and lamb rack & loin. Satisfyingly juicy and flavorful; carnivores will find plenty to keep them happy here.


Since this is basically an Italian restaurant, several items made to order include a selection of pasta and this saffron seafood risotto.


Wood-fired pizza & foccacia. We skipped these, since they looked too filling.


Desserts comprise the usual suspects, such as creme caramel, tiramisu, & ice cream.


The free flow of prosecco kept us brilliantly bubbly.


And no, we didn't stay here. But it seemed like an excellent hotel.


Opera,
Park Hyatt Saigon,
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
Check out EAT DRINK, a new F&B website jointly run by The Expat Group (TEG) & Eat Drink KL. This website features all of our up-to-date reviews, plus exclusive weekly articles & a searchable database on restaurants in KL & Selangor: EatDrink.my

19 comments:

  1. Oh dear..this beats our hotel breakfast buffets anytime! Even the ones I had in Korea!
    Hw could this be? viet has better food than us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tng: the non-halalness helps, I must say! Nearly all the outlets I went to had pork. Btw, I didn't notice any Malaysian restaurants there ... I wonder if malaysians living in hcmc get homesick for Nasi lemak, char Kuey teow and roti canal...

    ReplyDelete
  3. U know what? I share the same sentiment when I was in Hanoi. The buffet I had at the Sofitel Metropole was superb and was made better with the presence of babi! So yums

    ReplyDelete
  4. Qwazymonkey: Ooh, I've never been to Hanoi (wonder if I ever will), but your comment reminded me that I once ate at sofitel bangkok, and it was really nice too. How come we don't have a sofitel in KL?! I think sofitel is under the Accor hotel group, which runs the novotel KL and pullman putrajaya, but those don't seem to be as good...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so strange to see pork in buffets because we are so used to not seeing them in buffets back in KL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle: yeah ... Maybe some KL hotel someday will have a separate section at its buffet to offer pork, but since that would be tricky, we won't hold our breath for it to happen :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. All that for breakfast? I'm going to keep a look out for cheap flights to HCMC now, no thanks to you :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Devil and I usually stay at Sofitel Macau and it's brilliant, service-wise. Food's ok there but only cos we spend more time trawling the streets for snacks and such.

    Yay for babi-fied buffets! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. unka: heh, i did find airasia's rates to be very attractive ... back and forth for less than 400 ringgit. though there was that pesky three-hour delay for the flight home...
    lfb: ooh, i don't think i've seen your macau entries (must have been before my time ... or maybe u still haven't posted them!) :P but the place isn't on my travel horizon anytime soon, heheh...

    ReplyDelete
  10. A prosecco buffet! How nice! I can't imagine Brad and Angelina picking food from a buffet, though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. lemongrass: heheh, but if they were happy to adopt an orphan, they might have also deigned to mingle with the rakyat here! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've begun my Macau & HK series last year... but not completed it yet. So there are a few posts, but I guess I have to work at finishing it... :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. How nice if there's a babi buffet like this here?! And prosecco to boot too! Hrmmmph!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah, Park Hyatt Saigon is absolutely top-notch. There's a M'sian restaurant "Halal @ Saigon" opposite Sheraton and the nearby Parkson has a M'sian stall selling halal nasi lemak / nasi campur in its foodcourt. Hope your trip to HCM was enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lfb: if procrastination is the thief of time, think how badly u've been robbed! I'll post another three hcmc entries this week and then another two later this month, before the memory fades from my mind :D
    Pureglutton: maybe a non-halal, non-hotel restaurant can offer it! I'm thinking of a place like el Cerdo =)
    Soo: thanks for the info! I had no idea that we were so close to msian food there. I might actually have tried it if I had known. And it was a good trip, but thankfully, i only needed to spend two days there, heh...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh joy for more HCMC! And babi, yes? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. lfb: in deference to hari raya, i'll rein in the piggy posts for awhile :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. parma ham and procesco for a buffet? that I want to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Eiling: maybe Singapore might have one ... Closer than hcmc, heh

    ReplyDelete