Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Skewers @ Subang


Skewers is one of Subang's best hangouts; service is sterling, the setting is lively, and the food is good enough to warrant a recommendation.


The main attraction is the "Double Ultimate Glutton Burger," a gargantuan recipe that comprises two beef patties (totaling 400 grams) with chili con carne, melted shredded cheese, tortilla chips, gherkins, jalapenos _ heck, everything that's needed for the sloppiest, juiciest burger imaginable.


Less successful is the Sambal Fish Burger. Surprisingly spicy, but it lacks a sufficiently succulent slab of fish to complement the bun and accompaniments.


The garlic butter prawn skewers are worth sampling; fresh and flavorful enough that we nearly regretted having to share. Served with mashed potatoes and penne, this is as satisfyingly hearty as everything else here.


Rosemary-marinated beef with pilaf rice & grilled cinnamon pineapples. Also a treat, thanks to the tender, tasty chunks of beef.


Hickory-smoked chicken wings, soaked in an overpoweringly sweet BBQ sauce.


Prawn fritters with salted egg puree. Not like the yolk-coated prawns at Chinese outlets, but the crunchiness of the prawn batter and the fluffiness of the egg combined very well.


Tiramisu with brandy. Not bad, but not memorable.


Deep-fried Nutella. Another creative concoction. Definitely delicious.


Peanut butter & banana smoothie. Thick. So, so thick.


Only one type of wine is offered, but at 70 ringgit a bottle, it's a bargain.


A pitcher of Sangria helped keep the party going. Yee-haw!


Skewers,
Subang Avenue.

25 comments:

  1. Lovely! Another plc to get my burger fix ;p
    I knw the owner and will be giving him yr feedback. But so far a lot of my frens went & gave thumbs up. But nobody told me anything abt deep fried nutella!! WAAAAA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ride em cowboy? Heheh...Looks like decent pub grub. What beers to they serve?

    ReplyDelete
  3. arrghhh... i very geram! my sis just told me about this place on Sat nite and you've been here! this looks like a place if i don't wanna diet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. tng: oh ya, as far as burgers go, this definitely beats cristang! :D business seems to be booming, so the owners are doing something right, heheh.
    lemongrass: putting on my best impersonation of woody ahead of toy story 3 =)
    unka: oops, i'm the wrong person to ask about beer! but they do seem to be having a world cup promo for beers, so i spotted the regular brands like, errrm, carlsberg, tiger and guinness?
    eiling: hmmm, i think there are salads available, but how can u not be tempted by all the other food, right :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. takde babi ke? All beef :(
    of course, I still can go for the poultry or seafood but I want porky porky!!!!
    by the way, I notice that you have changed your blog's layout! Clean and nice.. I like!

    ReplyDelete
  6. leo: yeps, it's pork-free. but ya lor, i think most of their customers would love it if they served a thick, juicy pork burger :D yep, took advantage of blogspot's new template designs. glad u like it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. the "salted egg yolk" kinda looks like it has come from somewhere not too pleasant..hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  8. joe: yikes! but sometimes the tastiest things can look very unappetizing, right. must just tutup mata and makan :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh whatever does deep fried nutella contain? I can't imagine pure chocolate spread holding so well in batter?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Min: actually it does seem to be pure creamy nutella inside ... Imagine something like battered mozzarella, except sweet instead of creamy :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Min: oops! My friend just corrected me. It's actually bread with nutella spread on it. The bread is then battered and fried :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Double Ultimate Glutton Burger: I want.

    Deep-fried Nutella: I really, really want.

    Peanut butter & banana smoothie: Thick? So, so thick? Oh I love a challenge. There's not much I can't suck. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lfb: ahh u're back. There's been a distinct dearth of double entendres on this blog recently. But yes, yes, your reputation precedes u. They don't call u "Hoover" for nothing, right :p

    ReplyDelete
  14. They don't call me the Hoover! The Hoofer, maybe, since I'm such a horse... (Surname and Chinese Zodiac, dunchaknow? Heh.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. lfb: i prefer wordplay to horseplay ... though i figure foreplay is your forte (especially since u're too old for role-play) :P

    ReplyDelete
  16. ROFL. I concede defeat to that (early, for once, for me, haha).

    Honestly though? I think I'm simply great at play, be it word/horse/role/fore/back... :P

    ReplyDelete
  17. lfb: all play and no work makes kenny an over-excitable stallion :P

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh plenty of work lah. Work is my life, unfortunately. And all I get is horsefeed. (Or do I mean peanuts? Er.)

    ReplyDelete
  19. lfb: if they pay u peanuts, u have the right to monkey around at work. but i'm sure they dangle quite a few carrots in front of you from time to time :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wish they'd dangle something else though... Ahem.

    ReplyDelete
  21. lfb: could anyone rein you in if they did? if it were me, wild horses couldn't keep me away! :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. The "Double Ultimate Glutton Burger" looks tempting!!!! Hmph, I'll try it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. mavis: sure hope u enjoy it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. This blog is great source of information about Saint Patrick’s Day which is very useful for me. It very important information about Saint Patrick’s Day
    Thank you very much for this useful information.

    Thanks for this great information.

    BEST SKEWERS RECIPES FOR SAINT PATRICKS DAY.

    ReplyDelete