Saturday, December 10, 2011

Cafe Cafe

Cafe Cafe remains one of KL's most interesting restaurants, attracting more customers than ever to its romantically lit, Parisian-inspired setting.

Returning here recently for the first time in several years, we learnt that the menu has retained many longtime favorites. Didn't order much though, since we were crammed into a tiny table. Service is still efficient, though somewhat icier than before.

All about truffles: truffle-scented baked escargot with foie gras. A fun recipe, but it would be nice if each snail were served with its own morsel of liver, instead of only three of the six.

Fettuccine with cream of white truffles. Possibly overpriced at RM58+, particularly since this comes simply with cream & no truffle shavings. Deliciously aromatic comfort food nevertheless.

White truffle hot chocolate cake. We loved this when we first tasted it here in 2004 or 2005. It's still well-prepared now, though the perfume of truffles could be more potent.

Absolut Citron & Smirnoff vodkas, in lieu of wine.

An alternative to absinthe: Pernod & Ricard aniseed spirits.

Cafe Cafe,
Jalan Maharajalela, Kuala Lumpur.
Tel: 03-2141-8141
Open daily 6pm-midnight.
Check out EAT DRINK, a new F&B website jointly run by The Expat Group (TEG) & Eat Drink KL. This website features all of our up-to-date reviews, plus exclusive weekly articles & a searchable database on restaurants in KL & Selangor: EatDrink.my

18 comments:

  1. Ah a truffle inspired meal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baby sumo: oh yeah, I can never get enough of truffles! Could almost be a drug, heh =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. probably the truffles used are not that nice this time? this could sig. impact the taste...

    ReplyDelete
  4. No try the tiramisu? It's been 2years+ since I last ate here but if I remember correctly the tiramisu was superb.

    Oh and I ate my first bite of foie gras here too ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle: that's a logical theory! possible, i guess, but i don't know for sure =)
    Timing: oh, we were doing a truffle theme for this menu, but unfortunately, there was only truffle chocolate cake, but no truffle tiramisu, heheh :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! We have that exact same shape, look and size of that hot chocolate cake with the ice cream and stuff and it happens to be my third favorite choco cake in the town! Finally I can have what you have! :p :p

    hey I see empty glasses :p

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rad: omg, if that looks like your third-most-favorite, I'm dying to know what your No. 1 & 2 favorite Choco cake must look like!! Heheh :D but noooo, those glasses aren't empty! they just couldn't fill them with too much alcohol, heh =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hehehe sumimasen I'm just a good drinker meaning I drink good stuff hahaha joking... Of course alcohol is good stuff too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rad: heh, when it comes to drinks, alcohol is my addiction (OK, that makes it sound bad). but i generally am not a major fan of juices, smoothies, coffee, tea or most other drinks :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that leaves you with alcohol only then! OMG :p
    I drink tea, juices but not coffee and soda. And of course I drink water

    ReplyDelete
  11. I get worried every time I eat escargot in shell. Don't know how many times they reuse those shells. =p

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rad: heheh, oh ya, water is good. I should absolutely drink more of it! :D
    Smitten: heh, yikes, I didn't realize the shells are recycled! Arghhh =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Old but going strong eh? I wonder how it survives with all the new mushrooming F&B outlets but it seems to be going strong still..

    ReplyDelete
  14. TNG: i think it does well with tourists & other foreign visitors to malaysia! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. White truffle hot chocolate cake! I want some. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Yum List: it's a great recipe, but needs to be executed well, in order to really satisfy, heheh :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. am not sure bout their food as I haven't been back for the longest time but I still like their whimsical deco.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Eiling: yeah, the menu here feels like it's 80 percent the same as it was six years ago! :D

    ReplyDelete