Saturday, November 13, 2010

Grumps

Pork-laden Italian & German recipes are the highlight of this casual restaurant _ a pleasant place to linger over a leisurely lunch.

Lots of temptations on the menu, though the few items that we ordered fell below expectations. The roast pork ribs, marinated in black beer, weighed in at a whopping 400 grams _ sufficient for two or three people. Alas, the meat tasted bland (like chicken breast), with a thick, unappetizingly chewy layer of fat.

Breaded pork tenderloin with 'risotto.' The pork was hearty and tender enough (though unexceptional), but the rice leaned more toward Wong Kok Char Chan Teng's cheese-baked rice than Italian risotto.

Cassata. Served its purpose. Nothing more or less than regular Neapolitan ice cream.

Still, I have a hunch that another visit might be worthwhile to investigate the rest of the menu, which includes pork knuckles, pork sausages & pork pizzas.


Grumps,
Plaza Kelana Jaya.
Check out EAT DRINK, a new F&B website jointly run by The Expat Group (TEG) & Eat Drink KL. This website features all of our up-to-date reviews, plus exclusive weekly articles & a searchable database on restaurants in KL & Selangor: EatDrink.my

16 comments:

  1. Yeah. :)
    .. reasonable prices but not really authentic.
    (that said, still like the "risotto" there - really hits all the right spots when u feel like something meaty n cheesey n carby)

    ReplyDelete
  2. J: ya, I really do wish I could give a full thumbs-up to this place. Everything else is satisfying, from the setting to the service. Just that the food still doesn't quite do it for me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with the risotto dish. If you were to present this to me I might think that it's a Japanese or HK fusion dish

    ReplyDelete
  4. Risotto ala Wong Kok Char Chan Teng? Hmm, that's a tad too fusion for me... :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle: ya, though come to think of it, that wouldn't be a bad thing if it were yummy! :D
    Lfb: yep, though i wouldn't mind if the tables were turned ... Cheese-baked rice with luncheon meat & chicken floss ala Il Lido :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, that actually sounds good (but wrong to have it at Il Lido)... I'd love some luncheon meat with chicken floss type meal right now. Sounds very homely and Chinesey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. it looked more like another beer outlet to me. Hey good choice on choosing a bottle of Cotes du Rhone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i like that rainbow dessert..looks interesting. Kelana jaya eh! ok, we go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lfb: eh, since when u reverted to being chinesey? There's this facebook quiz going around that tests "how Chinese" someone is, and I'm guessing you'd score 20% or less, like moi! :D
    Eiling: yeah, most of the outlets at plaza kj look more like watering holes. I did enjoy that wine ... Fairly cheap and easy to drink, heheh
    Ciki: On a cool evening, u can choose to sir outside the restaurant, where there's a decent view of a man-made lake and a fairly lively atmosphere :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm offended. Sorta. I'm very Chinesey, in terms of my meal options, most days. I even speak Mandarin and Cantonese fluently.

    But I have to admit there is a certain degree of Westerniness about me too. Just a smidge. :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. lfb: oh ya, true, i can't even tell the difference between mandarin and cantonese (seriously, they both sound the same to me). am quite surprised u can speak both fluently. most people can't master more than one or two languages (i know i can't!). and hello, your accent is all western lah. :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. I where got Western accent? When I speak Mandarin or Canto, I sound 100% Chinese. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lfb: hmmm but when u speak Malay... :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. When I speak Malay, macam orang kampung aje, kan? Thanks for the compliment, you are far too kind. :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. lfb: orang dari kampung pandan, cheras, perhaps :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. should try the diovola chicken, i personally quite like it. :D

    ReplyDelete