Friday, June 17, 2016

Joy Ice Cream & Island Gelato @ New Zealand

Ice cream served in jars, layered with fruits, nuts, cake slices, cookie crumbs, whipped cream & hot sauce, may sound like a messy novelty, but Joy Ice Cream does justice to these Joyful Jars, creating enjoyable indulgences for the young at heart on Auckland's Quay Street - try one with a scoop of Hokey Pokey.

Gelato in Southeast Asian-inflected flavours like Kaffir Lime Coconut & Thai Basil Mandarin Orange might not sound like a typical treat on a New Zealand vineyard island, but Island Gelato on Waiheke manages to pull off a feat that has us licking our lips & our cones - refreshing desserts with a clean, perky purity of flavours that ring true in line with their inspirations.

Check out EAT DRINK, a new F&B website jointly run by The Expat Group (TEG) & Eat Drink KL. This website features all of our up-to-date reviews, plus exclusive weekly articles & a searchable database on restaurants in KL & Selangor: EatDrink.my

12 comments:

  1. You're actually in NZ?
    Oh, my goodness. Look at that sweet magical thing called gelato. Yummm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lux: i was in NZ pretty recently. a very pretty country :) you're right - gelato has the magic power to make us feel better instantly when we eat it! :)

      Delete
  2. New Zealand, a country where cows is more than human,their dairy product! definitely a can't miss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Choi Yen: heh, i'd happily indulge here in all the dairy products, from ice cream to cheese :)

      Delete
  3. Hey! I didn't see that there...but I did have some very nice ice cream, freshly made at the strawberry farms...and also some award winning ones...and of course, their own Kapiti ice cream, can get that in KL, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suituapui: ooo, you're right kapiti ice cream is available in kl, at several cafes and at some supermarkets. i really love it - the flavours are excellent! give me a scoop of kapiti and i'll be happy for the rest of the day :)

      Delete
  4. Quay Street!!!! <3 What a pity I wasn't able to give this a try when I was last there. I love most things New Zealand (if there is a choice between AU, MY and NZ, I'd choose NZ) and organic.

    How's your trip to Auckland? =) Wait, you're eating gelato in winter? *winks*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ciana: that's an interesting choice, opting for NZ over Australian! but i can see your point, and i'd be torn too. both are so good :) auckland was a good experience, and i had a lot of satisfying meals there. haha, i actually love having ice cream and any chilled desserts during cold weather :)

      Delete
    2. I've my reasons for choosing NZ all the way (although I'm stuck in Australia, pursuing my undergraduate degree, lol). It's relieving to know that I'm not the only one who's crazy to eat ice cream during winter. =)

      Delete
    3. Ciana: heheh, ice cream is one of those treats that work well in any weather for me! and you too, from the sound of it! :)

      Delete
  5. Absolutely the world's best ice cream....I like how confident they are of their product...hehe! ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Contact.ewew: haha, yeah, after seeing that slogan, i couldn't resist sampling their ice cream ... so in that sense, it's an effective tagline! :D

      Delete