Monday, February 13, 2012

Sevillas

This plush cigar-&-wine lounge is attempting to attract well-heeled customers to Plaza Damansara, though business seems to be slow for now.

Spanish-style tapas form the foundation of Sevillas' menu _ enjoyably well-prepared recipes like salmon with Pernod dressing & lump fish caviar, served on toast.

Button mushrooms sauteed with garlic & oregano _ uncomplicated enough to whip up at home, but still worth ordering. Expressive of the earthiness that mushroom-lovers want.

Creamy-soft mozzarella & tomato puree bound in aubergines sliced almost fingernail-thin, then drizzled with an invigorating vinaigrette infused with basil.

Potatoes & onions in omelets. Prices are pretty reasonable; a meal here shouldn't cost more than one at, say, La Bodega.

Roasted almonds, coated with butterscotch sauce for a sugary stickiness.

Fried anchovies. Let's hope Sevillas expands its menu soon to include heavier Spanish dishes; true, Flamenco on this same street already serves paella, but we sure do relish our rice.

Cocktails, nearly intoxicating enough to fill our evening's quota: Galiano Hot Shot (galiano, coffee, cream) & El Diablo (tequila, lime juice, blackcurrent liquor, ginger ale).

Cuba Libre (rum, coke, lime) & Curacao Margarita (tequila, blue curacao, lime juice).

M Chapoutier Cotes du Roussilon Bila Haut & Coteaux du Tricastin La Ciboise.


Sevillas @ Plaza Damansara,
Jalan Medan Setia 1, Bukit Damansara, Kuala Lumpur.
Tel: 03-2095-5566
Check out EAT DRINK, a new F&B website jointly run by The Expat Group (TEG) & Eat Drink KL. This website features all of our up-to-date reviews, plus exclusive weekly articles & a searchable database on restaurants in KL & Selangor: EatDrink.my

26 comments:

  1. The environment seems quite comfortable. Have you tried the cigars there? :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CK: heheh, i've only smoked cigars once in my life, and i think i don't know how to appreciate them :D

      Delete
  2. The mozzarella & tomato puree bound in aubergines looks yummy. We were in the area yesterday - if only you had posted this a day earlier... :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kenny: ah, but your eat-inerary for the weekend looked perfect exactly the way it was! no reason to tamper with it at all :D

      Delete
  3. Speaking of which, I don't really fancy la bodega.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle: oh, la bodega has its hits & misses, but i think it's been invaluable. i appreciate all that it's contributed to KL's dining scene, and i think we're all better off for it :D

      Delete
  4. I don't know why but tapas never really tickle my fancy.. perhaps I'm a big eater so the smaller portions made me think that they won't be filling enough for me (Which might not be true in real! :P) Still I won't mind those cute button mushrooms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iamthewitch: you're probably right! i guess tapas are meant to be ordered in large quantities & shared. i actually kinda like it that way, cos it means we can order a huge number of different tapas & sample as many of them as possible :D

      Delete
  5. I love anchovie.. but the fried anchovies look pretty soggy. Maybe is the color..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smitten by Food: yeah, i think the anchovies might have been prepared in a sauce that kinda robbed them of their crispness =)

      Delete
  6. Mozzarella and aubergine sounds like a winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby sumo: oh yeah, even though I don't usually even enjoy aubergines much :D

      Delete
  7. I should check this out. Been too staple with Flamenco's for the last 10 years.

    aubergine and cheese is probably the only time the hubster eats aubergine. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missyblurkit: yeah, I like flamenco too though, and I do admire its resilience. I wonder how it's managed to survive so long sometimes! =)

      Delete
  8. I love the potatoes n omelete..
    Simple n nice ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simple Person: yups, a simple but satisfying combination :D

      Delete
  9. i thot u sed u gonna eat less in the new year?! :P I mistook the mozzarella & tomato puree bound in thin aubergines for squid! An interesting visual trick! Cool:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ciki: thanks! I actually didn't realize they resembled squid until u mentioned it! :D I'm trying to cut down my food intake by 10 percent in this quarter! I think i can manage that, heheh :D

      Delete
    2. looks like u added 10% man:P

      Delete
    3. Ciki: oops! i must try harder then! heheh =)

      Delete
  10. Sean Kingston... I'm sorry I've been busier than usual that I've missed out a lot of your posts!

    Hehe

    I noticed that the paintings in the first photo are like very small and just in the middle of the frame with a big white inner sorta frame.... Hmmm should I make a similar painting?

    And I love mushrooms! Yummmmmmieeeeeee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rad: hey, no worries, you really don't need to feel any obligation to comment everyday. Just do it when you feel like it :D gosh, I didn't even notice the paintings until you mentioned it! But I'd say, go for it (when you're less busy)! :D

      Delete
  11. I love love love eating tapas! Because, just like dim sum, they come in small servings! Small servings = Order more = try more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vien: that sounds like the ideal approach to tapas! i gotta admit, i'm a glutton for tapas! =)

      Delete
  12. Too bad this place is in the other part of my world or else it'll be a nice place to hang out and have a smoke or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eiling: oh yeah, particularly since you're a cigar connoisseur!!! :D

      Delete