Saturday, October 22, 2016

Avissinia, Meliartos & Lontos @ Athens, Greece

Duck inside Cafe Avissinia to escape the Sunday bustle of Athens' flea market at Monastiraki Square - Macedonian sour cabbage stuffed with pork & Cypriot vine leaves with minced meat are among the attractions at this Greek equivalent of a French bistro.

Refuel with traditional pastries at Meliartos, hailed as one of Athens' best bakeries, after checking out the colossal ruins of The Temple of The Olympian Zeus.


A short stroll from the Acropolis, Lontos makes for a pleasant stop to rest the feet & eat some seafood - octopus in vinegar flavoured with fennel & orange, alongside saganaki pan-cooked shrimp - paired with Greece's Metaxa brandy-based liqueur, dubbed 'the smoothest amber spirit under the sun,' made with aged distillates & aromatic wines from the Aegean islands.


Check out EAT DRINK, a new F&B website jointly run by The Expat Group (TEG) & Eat Drink KL. This website features all of our up-to-date reviews, plus exclusive weekly articles & a searchable database on restaurants in KL & Selangor: EatDrink.my

4 comments:

  1. I like old buildings, colonial architecture, for instance but I can't say I'm into ruins. There are some interesting sights though and I sure would love to try the food - it's obviously quite different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suituapui: ooo, I share your sentiments - for Athens and much of Greece though, I guess it's different cos their ruins are part of their legacy. I do like Greek food, especially the meats :)

      Delete
  2. I love visit flea market, and good food is a bonus. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CK: heheh, yeah, i've not bought anything at these flea markets, but it's fun to browse! :D

      Delete