Thursday, March 7, 2013

Proud Janny @ The Weld & CafeNine @ Ming Annexe

Food is fun! Here's a look at two city cafes that embody that philosophy: Proud Janny, launched this month at The Weld shopping mall ...

... & CafeNine, which caters mainly to office workers at Ampang's Ming Annexe.

First up, Proud Janny, a proud entry to this often-ignored Raja Chulan complex.

Pulled beef with eggs, tomatoes & cucumbers in brioche (RM15), a sandwich that satisfies.

Rice queens receive the royal Asian treatment here; try the nasi ulam with ayam percik that's prepared confit-style before being blanketed in coconut sauce ...

... or citrus-herb rice with Penang & Nyonya flourishes such as chicken lor bak, sambal hebe & tamarind assam prawns.

Proud Janny operates 11:30am-4pm weekdays but will expand its hours & menu, which also comprises Eggs Benedict, crispy-skin salmon spaghetti aglio olio & salted caramel cakes.

Icy caffe latte or steaming-hot mochachino? The latter's a little better, we think.

Next up: Cafe Nine, a cozy nook that, unfortunately, also only opens during daylight.

Gourmet burgers have been all the rage, but will gourmet hot dogs have their day? Cafe Nine's ahead of the curve, offering the fusion flamboyance of seaweed-wrapped sausage, sauerkraut, corned beef, caramelized onions & wasabi mayo (RM16).

Spinach fettuccine in Thai green curry with prawns, poached chicken, pea sprouts, boiled eggs & bean curd (RM15). Actually addictive, not scarily spicy.

Thyme soda, a herbal twist to a beverage that's refreshing enough for a sultry afternoon.

Cafe Nine's coffee is OK though not the ultimate reason to head here.

Proud Janny @ The Weld, Jalan Raja Chulan

Cafe Nine @ Ming Annexe, Jalan Ampang

Proud Janny,
Lower Ground Floor, The Weld, Jalan Raja Chulan, Kuala Lumpur.
Cafe Nine,
Ground Floor, Ming Annexe, Off Jalan Bukit Nanas, Jalan Ampang, Kuala Lumpur.
Check out EAT DRINK, a new F&B website jointly run by The Expat Group (TEG) & Eat Drink KL. This website features all of our up-to-date reviews, plus exclusive weekly articles & a searchable database on restaurants in KL & Selangor: EatDrink.my

30 comments:

  1. I love the decor of Proud Janny. Looks like I have another reason to visit The Weld other than my regular Aryan for its lovely Indian cuisine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missyblurkit: oh yeah, proud janny has a nice contemporary look, both soulful and stylish. Oooh, it's been years since I visited Aryan, but yeah, I like the long-running Indian and Japanese restaurants at The Weld too :D

      Delete
  2. I c nasi ulam with ayam percik...double yums! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ulric: ya, i can't resist Nasi ulam, and I quite enjoy ayam percik even though I don't have it often, so it's a nice treat to have the two together =)

      Delete
    2. I love the combination of both...the creamyness of the percik sauce vs the textures of the nasi ulam...hehe =)

      Delete
    3. Ulric: yeah, u nailed the reasons for it. I like the savory-sweet richness of the sauce too, and how it combines with the fresh vegetarian flavor and feel of the rice =)

      Delete
    4. Agreed...gimme a five! :D

      Delete
    5. Ulric: people with good taste think alike! :D

      Delete
  3. new cafe in the weld! but my office has been shifted to imbi.. >.<
    anyway, will see if i can stopby one morning for egg benedict (my favorite breakfast item!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean: oooh, maybe if you have a longer lunch break on Fridays, you could try heading over from Imbi to The Weld. But ya, the weld's a convenient location for me, only about a 10-minute drive from my office. I love eggs Benedict too, and unfortunately, it was sold out when I was here at 3pm, heh =)

      Delete
  4. 11.30, so late. Would be a great place to go for breakfast - sandwiches, eggs and all. I like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suituapui: heheh, unless i'm forced to wake up earlier, i only start eating breakfast at noon :D but ya, eggs and bread make the perfect brekkie food :D

      Delete
  5. The 2 rice dishes at Proud janny would be my aim too! And yea, I was telling my friends the other day, when will gourmet sausages take centrestage..think sausages in every size and flavour! And easy to takeaway too, in a box plus toothpicks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TNG: yeah, i couldn't resist the rice, based on their descriptions on the menu =) heheh, maybe a gourmet hot dog shop could actually do well in PJ. even though burgers are ultimately still more satisfying to munch compared to hot dogs :D

      Delete
  6. I love the deco of Proud Janny, but too bad, they only open for weekday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CK: oooh, i think they'll be opening on saturdays very soon. but if you have a long lunch break at work, can drive to the weld, which is less than 10 minutes away from your office, heheh :D

      Delete
  7. WOW....both cafes look nice and cozy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa: oh yeah, the walls and the furnishing exude a welcoming warmth! :D

      Delete
  8. Let me guess, Proud Janny is owned by a lady called Janny?!! hahah... And the Cafe Nine logo is a little difficult to decode.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eiling: heheh, i actually don't know why they named this cafe Proud Janny. but i'm sure someone will find out soon, heh :D and ya, you're right, Cafe Nine's logo is tricky to decipher! =)

      Delete
  9. Proud Janny's decor sure is nice. I would like to go try the nasi ulam. With both the ayam percik and prawns (if tht's not too greedy). Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby Sumo: yeah, the decor is definitely one of the nicest at The Weld right now. heheh, i wonder if they would oblige if we requested a plate full of ayam percik and prawns (i hope so!) :D

      Delete
  10. Glad to see new restaurants opening in The Weld, and one that looks so good too; I used to work nearby as a teen during school holidays and all I remember was McDonalds and O'Briens (way too expensive on my part-time pay). Am sure the office-going lunch crowd appreciates it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dropsofcontentment: oh yeah, it's been a long time since i found a nice reason to head into the weld (even though parking in this building is pretty easy). it's a great location, eh, with so many offices nearby :D

      Delete
  11. I see the coffee presentation is great !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wong: cafes are definitely putting more effort into their coffees :D

      Delete
  12. Aryan has since closed down. BBQ Nights will take its place. Their other outlets are at Sunrise Mont Kiara and along P Ramlee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. King: thanks for the update, sorry to hear about Aryan. I only ate there once, but I have a positive (though vague) memory about it =)

      Delete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bad customer service...Today, i had lunch in this cafe. At first, the waiter rudely told me that the sugar will never put into the latte when it serve to the customer (bcoz I put the remark to request for less sweet in my latte). I'm already not happy with that comment. Then, having my food half way, the same waiter suddenly tap me on my hand and asked me "How long do you need to finish the food?". What? I know at that time there is a gang of customer waiting outside of the restaurant, but why she rushed me to eat faster? I'm paying for the food....and I shall enjoy the food and shall not be in the hurry. The food is pricy and very small portion. Never experience this kind of situation in others places. Very dissapointed....

    ReplyDelete