Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Bugs Cafe @ Siem Reap, Cambodia

Confront your creepy-crawly fears at Bugs Cafe, where the menu consists entirely of six-and-eight-legged creatures. Start with the skewers of spiders, scorpions, grasshoppers and giant water bugs, each distinctively crunchy, nearly all an acquired taste with their earthy flavours. 

Complement the meal with spring rolls stuffed with red ants, sweet potato soup with bee eggs, wok-fried silkworms and crickets with Kampot green peppers, and tempura tarantulas with mango chutney, downed with scorpion-fused liquor and a potent cocktail called Cambodian Fever.


8 comments:

  1. Ummmm...no, thank you. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suituapui: insects are the protein of the future! :D

      Delete
  2. Yikes! I wanted to ask if they tasted any good. But when I read that nearly all are an acquired taste, I get the idea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phong Hong: I’m actually not a big fan of the taste and texture of some of these ... rather, erm, earthy, heh ;)

      Delete
  3. The tarantula in the first photo freaked me out...and then they coated it in tempura flour and deep-fried it...omg! O_o I applaud your bravery for eating insects which I can never bring myself to do! >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Contact.ewew: I think you could too! Just close your eyes! I guess the first thing is to rid ourselves of the thought that all insects and spiders are nasty! ;)

      Delete
  4. Bravo for trying all those insect dishes! Not many people have that guts, at least me don't have >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Choi Yen: I think you could, if you try to think of insects as ordinary food! :)

      Delete