Saturday, February 23, 2013

Le Porc Dor @ Old Klang Road

This restaurant's name might not suggest it, but this is a strictly Chinese establishment, serving pork-and-chicken soups and stews with a home-cooked flavor. 

Hidden from plain view off Old Klang Road (with another branch in Lot 10's Hutong), here's the place to sip nearly every type of basic traditional broth.

Landing in hot soup, from ones with lotus roots to others with carrots and barley. 

From water chestnuts to watercress too. 

Taste-wise, we've had better, but we've had worse. RM8 per bowl; two might be able to share. 

Fans of braised meat can lick their lips over this pork belly, though some might turn up their noses at the copious fatty bits in this bowl. 

"Feet And Feet," comprising chicken claws and pork trotters. Feet won't fail us now. 

Pork rib curry, flavorful and fulfilling. Somewhat spicier than expected though. 

Steamed pork and chicken, with rutabaga turnips and sweet-salty sausages respectively. 

Pork satay, not as terrifically tasty as Malacca's, but not bad either. 

And finally, to stuff the stomach, a peppery pork stomach soup with beehoon. Le Porc Dor insists its food is MSG-free, which we think is true.

Le Porc Dor, 
3rd Mile Square, Old Klang Road, Kuala Lumpur (near the Taman Desa turnoff).
Tel: 03-7971-7595
Closed Sundays.
Check out EAT DRINK, a new F&B website jointly run by The Expat Group (TEG) & Eat Drink KL. This website features all of our up-to-date reviews, plus exclusive weekly articles & a searchable database on restaurants in KL & Selangor: EatDrink.my

30 comments:

  1. Those claws in the soups usually make the soup really oily...and how many actually eat em. Let's see I've got 3 sisters...only one would eat it. This pepper pork and beehoon is one interesting combination. At the end of the day, if its msg free....I like..lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sycookies: ooh, i'm a fan of claws. a bit cumbersome to consume them, but they're a textural delight, heheh :D and ya, putting the pork stomach and beehoon together works quite well =)

      Delete
    2. Lol...that's why I see so much claws in the photos..lol.

      Delete
    3. Sycookies: ya, it's ironic, cos when I was a kid, I hated claws and refused to eat them. And now I try to order them whenever possible =)

      Delete
  2. I always have the pork satay at their stall in Lot 10 Hutong...paired it with the duck CKT there...lovely! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ulric: sinful meal, heheh! I like pork satay, though the fatty-meaty ones in malacca are my favorite! =)

      Delete
  3. i remember them in lot 10 too. Caught us by surprised when they approached us and asked if we wanted pork satay. Must say it was not too bad!

    Yet to check them out here though I seriously should do so when they are quite close to my place and we're hosting some pals to dinner tonight...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missyblurkit: ya, I think it's a decent place for soups, especially for folks like me who'd be too lazy to make our own, heheh =) and it's interesting that a place that specializes in soup offers pork satay too. Adds variety, heheh =)

      Delete
  4. quite small bowl when looking the picture~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr lonely: ya, each portion is suitable for one person, perfect!

      Delete
  5. We passed by this place when we were in 3rd Mile Square. I was wondering what cuisine they serve. Oh their Chinese name is quite cute, "many wives" lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CK: ooh, ya, if u ever feel lazy to cook your own soup, then this might be a convenient stop nearby :D wow, I didn't expect their Chinese name to be that meaning. Very cute, I wonder why they chose "many wives" =)

      Delete
    2. Maybe "many wives" = "many cooks"....hahaha :P

      Delete
    3. Ulric: interesting interpretation! :D

      Delete
  6. I love to drink home-cooked Soup :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, heheh, it reminds me of my childhood, when my grandmother and aunts made such delicious soups :D

      Delete
  7. Oooo I love all the soups that you ordered, its like the ones my mum used to make me when I was younger ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby sumo; ya, these soups do bring back heartwarming memories for us, right. Family-friendly food. I especially like soups with lotus roots and peanuts, or with Chinese wolf berries :D

      Delete
  8. Eyewwwwww!!!!! Chicken feet! No, thank you! Would love the rest - all except the feet. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suituapui: heheh, my favorite part of the chicken is the leg, followed by the liver, followed by the blood :D

      Delete
    2. Chicken feet has a lot of collagen... like pig's trotter.

      Delete
    3. Waverly: oh, I love pork trotters too. And collagen is healthy, right :D

      Delete
  9. Very home cooked feel, I love how you embrace the chicken feet too. Hehehe. Gimme the fatty pork belleh I don't care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly: yeah, i don't get much home-cooked food these days, so it's nice to pop into these restaurants once in awhile to get some wholesome chinese goodness :D and ya, the bones in the chicken feet can be a bit of a drag to get through, but i like gelatinous textures in my food. and of course, the fatty texture of pork belly is also always a treat!=)

      Delete
  10. Oh man, that's a lovely bowl of trotters and feet. My favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waverly: yeah, if I had been 15-years old, I'd have been squeamish to eat it, but I have no such compunctions now ;D

      Delete
  11. Oh dear, I am too Western for those feet - they look so much like...well...feet! eek :S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YouHadYourLunch: heheh, i can empathize! i used to be grossed out by chicken feet too, but after i actually started eating them, i realized i enjoyed them :D

      Delete
  12. wow comfort food but the name of the place didn't sound chinese at all. I was thinking of some spanish establishments. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eiling: yeah, very unusual name for a chinese soup-serving eatery! luckily the food is very traditional and reassuringly familiar, heheh :D

      Delete