Sunday, June 30, 2013

Unkai @ Bangkok Crowne Plaza


The Crowne Plaza has a reasonably tempting tagline for its Japanese restaurant: Discover why Unkai is always the popular choice for Bangkok residents seeking authentic Japanese recipes.


This journey of discovery begins with sesame-studded broccoli, one of my favorite veggies.


Hot broth, brimming with lotus root, asparagus, mushrooms, carrots & fishcakes.


A savory, protein-packed selection of cooked egg, meat & seafood.


Raw's more welcome: the ubiquitous salmon & tuna sashimi, fresh as can be expected.


Unkai is a porky restaurant, so we leaped at the chance to have crisply breaded pork loin.


Chawanmushi, alongside a simple lettuce-&-tomato salad in sesame dressing.


Rice with pickled veggies. All in all, everything tastes true to the art of Japanese cooking, with well-composed ingredients.


Miso soup before we say sayonara (or should we bid sawatdee?).


Might prefer ice cream to fruits, but fine, this is healthier.


Unkai,
Crowne Plaza Bangkok, Lumpini Park, Thailand.

Check out EAT DRINK, a new F&B website jointly run by The Expat Group (TEG) & Eat Drink KL. This website features all of our up-to-date reviews, plus exclusive weekly articles & a searchable database on restaurants in KL & Selangor: EatDrink.my

18 comments:

  1. I always choose to drink a bowl of
    miso soup before having others meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heheh, I usually have the miso soup at the end of the meal. A nice way to finish :D

      Delete
  2. I prefer fruits to ice cream, so I would enjoy the fruit! :) The egg, meat and seafood looks interesting, and the salmon looks divine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda: oh, I have to confess with much guilt that I'm not a fan of fruit. I probably only eat it a few times a week. But I love ice cream =) and yeah, the presentation for the dishes here had a lovely traditional feel to it :D

      Delete
  3. Jalan jalan cari makan in Bangkok yea? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TNG: heheh, well, I have to say that this particular place wasn't my choice for where to go eat :D

      Delete
  4. I agree with “追食富迪”, miso soup before shashimi is how I prefer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wong: nice combination, hot and cold :D

      Delete
  5. U must be my generation kinda people :) who like broccolis :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NekoHime: heh, I love the taste and texture of broccoli, simple and steamed. Though I'm not sure about any generation thing :D

      Delete
    2. lol .. my nephews hate it hahahaha. but yes if it is young broccoli... very sweet taste!

      Delete
    3. NekoHime: ooo, I guess that means your nephews probably don't like cauliflower either, heh :D

      Delete
  6. This looks like a simple traditional Japanese meal. Most importantly everything is cooked well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby sumo: oh ya, pretty basic and no-frills, helping us to appreciate the fundamentals, heh =)

      Delete
  7. The title sums it up. They can´t be anything but amazing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cquek: especially if you're a fan of Japanese food =)

      Delete
  8. I always enjoy those little warm vege dishes before sashimi. not many places serve them tho

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KY: true, I guess we mainly only get 'em if we order the kaiseki sets. But ya, they're nice to enjoy =)

      Delete