Friday, April 6, 2012

Ah Yip @ Starhill

Ah Yip Herbal Soup has opened a branch at Starhill's Feast Gallery, joining Pak Loh Chiu Chow & Luk Yu Tea House to become this level's third Chinese eatery.

Steaming-hot herbal soups, pork-free but overflowing with nutrition. Some include exotica like deer hooves & tails (prices soar to RM2,400), but the RM15++ standard concoctions, like this old-cucumber & chicken soup, are no less worthwhile.

Salted veggie duck broth. Tastes traditional; something a grandmother would love.

Lotus root & dried squid. Seemingly MSG-free; we suffered no thirsty aftermath. Still, each soup brims with flavor, testifying to the quality & quantity of ingredients.

Chicken feet, scallops & groundnuts. 'Phoenix claws' in all their gelatinous glory. Texture is king.

Ah Yip lacks liquor, so we walked over to Sentidos Tapas, Starhill's stalwart.

Escargot-&-chicken paella. We caught the scintillating scent of saffron when this landed on our table. In the end, it wasn't a bad paella, but it's not a knockout.

Sangria, pretty potent at only RM25++ per glass.

Cocktails might not be on Sentidos' menu, but ask & you'll receive a Mojito & more.

Bellini, unimpeachable for peachy pleasure.



Ah Yip Herbal Soup,
Starhill, Bukit Bintang, Kuala Lumpur.
Check out EAT DRINK, a new F&B website jointly run by The Expat Group (TEG) & Eat Drink KL. This website features all of our up-to-date reviews, plus exclusive weekly articles & a searchable database on restaurants in KL & Selangor: EatDrink.my

26 comments:

  1. All of a sudden I feel like making Chinese soup for dinner tmr. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby Sumo: heheh, make make make! it could be something that the kids would enjoy ... and it'd be a healthy meal for the family before the easter feasting this weekend! :D

      Delete
  2. ohhh..hot soups..tempting me now.
    Will hop into 1U for my fix cos got putien, the soup restauarnt ans Tagn Shifu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TNG: we're lucky that most of the major malls in KL have at least one or two Chinese soup-serving eateries! i think there's an Ah Yip at Publika also, but i'm not sure if they carry the full menu of soups there :D

      Delete
  3. strange to find a herbal soup place in starhill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle: heheh, i wonder if they'll do well. cross fingers :D

      Delete
  4. I love chinese soup a lot!
    Ah Yip Herbal Soup in Pavilion is our usual place for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CK: i like chinese soup also! but only a little, not a lot, heheh :D actually ya, it's interesting that they opened a branch here in starhill, since they already have a branch in pavilion! wonder why =)

      Delete
  5. I rarely drink soup! I have a relatively small stomach (it's a curse I tell you!) so I get full real quick. Somehow, I always think that I won't get to eat as much if I drank soup during my meals :P But I can never say no to my grandma's chicken, lotus & peanut soup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vien: i think we're all fortunate that we had grandmothers who made great soups! within one or two generations, there might not be so many soup-cooking grandmas anymore! heh :D

      Delete
    2. haha gone are the days of soup-cooking grandmas and in come the macaron-making grandmas!!

      Delete
    3. Vien: gosh, that's too modern for me! the most i could handle is a cupcake-making grandma :D

      Delete
  6. I don't think I've ever seen sangria quite that colour before. I'd be willing to give it a try though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Yum List: heheh, it's almost like a sangria smoothie! :D

      Delete
  7. Deer hooves & tails? Poor Bambi (and family)... :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kenny: oh deer, I must break it to you that Bambi and Co aren't real, only figments of the Disney devious imagination :D

      Delete
  8. from soup to alchohol ?
    kekeke .. my mum will sure nag on me .. lol..
    say that wasted all her effort for making the soup if later I drink alchohol . hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simple person; heheh, I put soup and alcohol in the same category, since both of them are liquids :D

      Delete
  9. When I'm feeling under the weather, I will head to Ah Yip @ Pavilion Food Court for some soupy goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smitten by Food: I'll remember that the next time I have a cold :D

      Delete
  10. Soups. Just what I need these days to nourish the body and soul. Maybe Ah Yip lacks alcohol cause you're should be bearing a belly full of soup and technically not leave room for anymore liquid especially alcohol:P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missyblurkit: that's a very good point! though i'm now hankering for alcohol-infused soups! kill two birds with one stone, heh

      Delete
  11. after all those tonic soup, you went for alcohol?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eiling: heheh, cocktails to neutralize the soup's benefits =)

      Delete
  12. wah, this outlet is having very modern interior design as compare to other branches... Thanks for sharing it with us...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gopeng: no prob. ya, i actually haven't been to ah yip's other branches =)

      Delete