Sunday, January 22, 2012

Lao Gang & LSY

One could spend a year eating out in Puchong & not finish visiting all the restaurants here. Let's take the first step, starting with two Chinese outlets _ Lao Gang & LSY Claypot.

Lao Gang's pork knuckle is a behemoth for RM48. Irrefutably succulent, enveloped in a melt-in-the-mouth layer of fat & crisply flavorful skin.

Claypot chicken with yam. Comfort food, pure & simple.

Battered squid with onions. Surprisingly tangy; must be something in the sauce.

Macau prawns, soaked in creamy, tomato-based gravy. Not bad, but not brilliant.

Escargots with scrambled egg in puff pastry. A fun combo; the morsels of pleasantly chewy snails contrast well with the milky eggs.

Mantis prawns. Tastes like crunchy, calorie-laden junk food.

Macau tomato eggs with pork slices. Skip this steaming heap of way-too-tart glop.

Silky bean curd, topped unfortunately with a hillock of horribly salty fried radish.

Mixed veggies. Prices here are fair; this massive meal cost slightly under RM180.

OK, next up: LSY Claypot, a five-minute drive from Lao Gang.

It's worth visiting LSY just for the claypot chicken rice. Bristling with sweet meat & pork sausages, it's a carb-protein combo that's so aromatic & so addictive.

Porridge, thick & tasty. Would be even better with a sprinkling of pork intestines.

Claypot loh shu fun. Excellent; we really should have Chinese food more often.

Chunks of chicken wings, stuffed with veggies & what-not. Finger-lickin' good.

The sole misfire at LSY: limp slivers of pork trotters, drowned in watery soy sauce.

A little green goes a long way. Ergo, a little green is more than enough.

Lao Gang,
Jalan Puteri 1/8, Bandar Puteri Puchong.

LSY Claypot,
Jalan Puteri 2/4, Bandar Puteri Puchong.
Check out EAT DRINK, a new F&B website jointly run by The Expat Group (TEG) & Eat Drink KL. This website features all of our up-to-date reviews, plus exclusive weekly articles & a searchable database on restaurants in KL & Selangor: EatDrink.my

28 comments:

  1. I should consider going for CNY dinner at Lao Gang with my friends. Prices are quite affordable, and portions look generous. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bangsar-babe: not a bad choice, I think! Though I wonder whether maybe they're hiking up their prices for CNY ... I forgot to mention that these meals were actually a few weeks ago, before the CNY season =)

      Delete
  2. I want the stuffed chicken wings! And yes, porridge always tastes much better with intestines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Btw Happy Birthday again! I'm first to wish u on this blogpost :)

      Delete
    2. Baby sumo: I think Elegant Inn does stuffed chicken wings very nicely too! :D heh, I wish intestines were used in western recipes. If only Ben's had an intestine salad =) and tnx for the birthday wish, ya (even though I hate the thought of turning another year older at this point, heh) :D

      Delete
    3. Just think of it as another day to celebrate (and not turning older!) :)

      Yea, I've tried the stuffed chicken wings at EI, it's really nice! (But super pricey)

      Delete
    4. Baby sumo: ah, good advice! And it's a double celebration today with the pre-Chinese new year dinner this evening too! :D

      Delete
    5. I was planning on saying it midnight last night but the I fell asleep ;)) so I failed to be the first hehe

      Delete
  3. The stuffed chicken wings do look special! Haven't come across such dish before. And yeah.. the porridge is missing pork intestines, preferably deep fried ones. Haha. Gosh... I kinda miss claypot rice. It's hard to get good ones... or maybe I seldom visit food court. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chong: oh yeah, I guess it must be a time-consuming chore to stuff all those wings. A few other Chinese and Thai eateries serve variations of stuffed wings, sometimes filled with glutinous rice =) and ya, intestines and century eggs are musts for me to make porridge complete. I think the best Claypot rice I've ever had was in Penang, but that might just be nostalgia talking, heh =)

      Delete
  4. Omo omo omo, the mantis prawns look really good! But can't have too much of those things. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle: have them while you're still in your twenties! Once you hit your thirties (like I have, years ago!), then it's time to slow down, heh

      Delete
  5. Macau prawns Macau tomato eggs with pork slices? Never tried any of these dishes when we in Macau? :P

    Happy Birthday Mr. Holy Rabbit! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CK: heheh, I've never been to Macau, so I wouldn't know. Maybe it's the tomatoes! Or maybe the sourish gravy :D And thank you, mr devil wears prada! Hope you are enjoying making your abalone-chicken soup =)

      Delete
    2. How did I miss this - you reviewed TWO Chinese restaurants at a go? This does it - the next time we go makan, it's gonna be Chinese! :D

      Delete
    3. Kenny: i'm game for chinese! maybe we should look for something regional. szechuan or something, heheh :D

      Delete
  6. Ok I didn't read the post because I'm so late to say Happy Birth freaking day, Sean!!! Woohoo every restaurant in KL has to be offering you free any thing you can eat!

    Today is officially the Food's Day. January 22

    Happy birthday!
    Eat eat eat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rad: heheh, thanks! You still managed to make it to wish me in time. Just had a big Chinese dinner with lots of stewed meat, fish and prawns. Am so stuffed, I feel like I can never eat again, haha :D

      Delete
  7. Food n price is good too..
    Claypot chicken n yam .... i never tried b4
    Definitely will go n try over there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simple person: oh yeah, I like Claypot dishes that have yam paired with meat, whether it's chicken or pork. Nice and creamy :D

      Delete
  8. had our car kaki's reunion dinner at lao gang last year. was quite impressed with the food in general. have yet to return there this year for any meals...but its still early part of the year:D

    gong hei fatt choy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missyblurkit: hope you just had a great reunion dinner tonight! It's great to be enjoying lots of Chinese food at this time of the year =)

      Delete
  9. I could smell the claypot from here... any salted fish inside?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smitten: ooo, I didn't notice any salted fish, but that would have been a nice addition to this recipe :D

      Delete
  10. eating chinese food in the spirit of Chinese New Year? hahah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eiling: heheh, am starting to enjoy Chinese food more nowadays :D

      Delete
  11. Woohoo I finally see the review on LSY! Reminds me of the claypot chicken rice.. have been missing it since I moved out of Puchong.. Time to revisit! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iamthewitch: heheh, i wouldn't mind taking a fortnight to explore more restaurants in puchong! :D

      Delete